Why do I love quiche?
Well, besides the fact that it is quick and easy it is to prepare, it is incredibly healthy and low in calories (if that does bother you). In addition, this quiche does not have a crust base and therefore if you are looking for a high protein, low carb option – this is it.
Quiche is basically an egg/milk mixture filled with any ingredients you like, meaning you can keep it healthy and add additional veg/ proteins to bulk it up.
Live alone? Make a large one, cut it into slices and freeze! This will make meal prep even easier.
This one is especially for you @sofhia_kaka!
- 5 eggs
- ½ cup milk or cream/coconut cream if you prefer a richer version
- 1 onion
- 1 cup of baby spinach
- 1 red pepper
- 1 green pepper
- 1 tomato or cherry tomatoes (sweeter)
- 1 block of feta
- ¼ cup Mozzarella cheese (grated)
- Olive oil /coconut oil
- Mixed herbs (fresh or dry)
- Himalayan Salt & pepper
- This version is a vegetarian recipe, however you can add basically anything to a quiche, including cooked meats. Keep in mind the nutritional value / quality of the ingredients you include and avoid processed products.
- Should you prefer a base, but don’t enjoy crust versions, you could slice sweet potato into very thin medallions and line the pie dish with these before pre-baking for about 20 minutes (until soft). You can then add the egg mixture and continue as usual.
- Preheat the oven to 180˚ C
- In a bowl whisk eggs & milk until completely combined
- Add herbs & salt/pepper to egg mixture and whisk
- Dice onions, peppers and tomatoes & add into a pan with 1 teaspoon of olive oil or coconut oil – fry until the onions are golden
- Add half the fried ingredients into the mixture and combine
- Pour the mixture into a buttered (coconut oil) pie dish or any other glass bakeware.
- Cut the feta into small squares and add the feta, spinach and remainder of the ingredients to the dish, making sure that the ingredients are spread evenly throughout the mixture.
- Add the grated mozzarella to the top of the dish, or if preferred, add this in the last 5 minutes of cook time.
- Cook for ±25 minutes, until the egg is firm – the QTY of egg/milk/ingredients and oven may change baking time.